Saturday, September 15, 2007

All Hands on AmDeck!

A lot of progress this week! On Monday the AmDeck arrived! This is the forming system used for all horizontal planes (floors and roofs). I was concerned about storage space so I asked the supplier to only bring a small portion of my order. I'm glad I did, because the single truck load filled up the street, and once I brought it into the property, filled up any free space I had!


The beginning of the week was spent finishing the walls. Dad was able to help out for a few more days this week, and we got a lot done together. It is really enjoyable working with him! As the walls went up, rebar was inserted to add strength to the concrete. Here is a view of the massive amount of steel needed at the sides of the garage door openings.


Soon all of the garage walls were completed and I got the fun task of cutting the archways over the garage door openings! Finally, something more interesting than a square corner!


As I was finishing the ICFs, Dad was working on the custom forming. Any time that there is an opening or a special beam that is not the standard ICF width, forms need to be constructed out of wood. Dad framed the center structural beam form and closed many of the edges of openings.

Next I was ready to start setting the garage roof forms.


The AmDeck forms are a modular system, each piece is 24" by 32" and simply sets on to steel joists resting on the temporary shoring.


The pieces are very light and easy to handle, and the roof went up very fast!




On Saturday, Jeanne came and worked the day with me! Here she is assembling the steel reinforcement for the structural beam between the garage bays. It was great to work together on our own home!

No comments: