Sunday, October 7, 2007

Slurry Backfill

I passed my inspections on Wednesday, so after doing a little final prep work on Thursday, I was ready to do the first Slurry Backfill on Friday.


Slurry is a very sandy mix of concrete, it is stable when cured, but not strong enough to be used for walls or slabs. It is perfect for doing a quick backfill, since it can be done in one day and without multiple compaction inspections that would be required with a dirt backfill.


I filled both sides and the back, working my way around the garage so as not to get too high too fast. On the left side I created a dam so that the slurry would stay clear of the retaining wall I would need to build in the future.


On the right side I buried a section of 4" cast iron pipe for the sewer connection, being careful to cap the end so no concrete would get in.


By the end of the day I had filled the back side to the finished level, creating a new standing surface to continue building from, as well as a slab for a future storage space!


Now I can walk right out from the back of the garage to the hill! This is where the footing in the middle of the livingroom will be formed.


The laborer and I also cleared off the livingroom pad and marked out the placement for the livingroom footing. I can't wait to start cutting and forming that next week!

Also during this week, I met with the HVAC (heating and airconditioning) engineer who is designing my system. He has had the plans for months, but after visiting the site, he really got a much better feel for the job. He gave me some input on required openings, and went back with some notes to refine the drawings. It was exciting going over these details with him, and picturing installing this equipment!

I also got a visit from a plumber who was another recommendation of Ernie, the neighbor who had recommended the great concrete finishers. He seemed like a great guy, and I look forward to adding him to my team!

No comments: